The Albury Base Hospital is one of the oldest institutions in Albury. It was established in 1861 and has intimate personal and family associations related to birth, death, injury and illness. It demonstrates strong community links, and for many years was dependent on local charity.
The institution has had three different locations, Thurgoona Street, Wodonga Place and Borella Road. The status of the hospital was upgraded from that of District Hospital to Base Hospital in 1953. In 2011 it became the Albury campus of Albury Wodonga Health Service.
It was, and still is, important to the local economy and to local people as a large workplace. Through the health and medical services it offers, it has made a major contribution to the quality of life of residents in the Albury Wodonga region.
The collection includes historic documents, nurses uniforms, photographs, publications, memories captured on film, medical instruments and an iron lung.