Site Search


No one wants to live next door to a noisy neighbour or a construction site. There are things you can do to manage the impact of noise.

The NSW Environment Protection Authority has good guidance and brochures on your options for dealing with noise from:

  • development and construction sites
  • houses (loud music, lawnmowers, air-conditioners, exhaust fans, power tools, barking dogs)
  • commercial premises
  • cars and other vehicles
  • major works (by AlburyCity or other regulatory agencies).

Who has powers to regulate noise?

The NSW Office of Environment and Heritage, local councils and NSW Police have powers under the Protection of the Environment Operations Act 1997 to manage noise.

What can you do about residential noise or barking dogs?

  1. Contact your neighbour to discuss the problem and try to agree on a solution.
  2. If that doesn’t work, complete our noise diary log sheet for 14 days and send the completed form to
  3. We will assess the noise diary and decide what to do next. We may refer you to the Community Justice Commission for mediation and resolution, or we may investigate the complaint more.

If you suspect that a dog or cat is being mistreated, please contact the RSPCA.

What can you do about construction noise?

If you are concerned about construction noise occurring outside normal construction hours (broadly 7am to 6pm Monday to Friday and 7am to 5pm Saturday – see below for more details), please contact us at or 02 6023 8111.

Noise restrictions

Information on noise management and restrictions is on the NSW Office of Environment and Heritage website. This covers residential, construction, commercial premises and motor vehicle noise.

An approved Development Application for a subdivision or Complying Development Certificate for construction of a building will include noise restrictions. Standard conditions restrict all noisy work to:

  • Development Application – 7am to 6pm Monday to Friday, 8am to 1pm Saturdays, and no work is permitted on Sundays and public holidays.
  • Complying Development Certificate – 7am to 5pm Monday to Saturday, and no work is permitted on Sundays and public holidays.

We can approve work outside these hours on a case by case basis.