Site Search

Lost and found pets

If your microchipped pet is missing contact us as soon as possible to report it as missing on the NSW Companion Animals Register.

What to do if your pet goes missing

  • Report your microchipped pet as missing on the NSW Pet Registry
  • Ask around among your neighbours, check local social media group pages as well as in nearby parks to see if anyone has seen your pet

If your pet ends up in the Albury Animal Care Centre

Lost dogs and cats collected by Council are scanned in an attempt to identify the owner so that they may be returned.

If Council is unable to return the animal to the owner it will be impounded at:

695 Mudge St, Hamilton Valley NSW 2641
Phone: 02 6043 8530
Website: Albury Animal Care Centre

Pets that have been found can be viewed on the Albury Animal Care Centre Facebook page.

When you claim a missing pet from the pound you will need to pay a fee. We may also follow up with you about the incident that led to your cat or dog being taken to the pound, which may involve a fine.

If you find a lost pet

If you find a dog or cat that seems to be lost, approach cautiously until you’re sure it’s friendly. If the animal is wearing a collar and ID tag, try to contact the owner directly. If there isn’t a tag with contact details, contact  our rangers on 02 6023 8111 between 8:30 am - 5:00 pm. After hours contact 1300 133 391 (please note that rangers can not attend after hours call-outs unless the dog is contained and normally will not pick up stray animals between the hours of 7:00 pm and 7:00 am).

  • The information on the microchip will help us contact the owner and return the dog to them.
  • If the dog doesn't have a microchip or registration, or if the owner can't be contacted, a ranger will take the dog to the Albury Animal Care Centre.

Please note that it is illegal to hold an animal that is not yours on your property for longer than is necessary.

For more information about the identification and registration of companion animals and for the duties and responsibilities of their owners read the NSW Companion Animals Act, 1998.