Site Search


After you’ve obtained a DA, find out what other approvals you'll need for your proposed subdivision and civil works.

To subdivide land in our city, you'll need to apply for a:

The subdivision will need to meet the requirements of the Albury Local Environmental Plan 2010 and the Albury Development Control Plan 2010.

  • Types of subdivision keyboard_arrow_right

    Before submitting a Development Application to subdivide your land, you'll need to determine what type of subdivision you're applying for. Subdivision of land in residential areas is typically undertaken by one of the following types:

    Torrens Title

    The subdivision of a lot into at least two allotments, which are held independently of one another. There are generally no shared facilities or infrastructure.

    Community Title

    The subdivision of and into at least two lots and an area of common property. Common property relates to those parts that do not form part of a lot and typically includes the service infrastructure and driveways that are shared.

    Strata Title

    The subdivision of a building or proposed building into at least two lots and is managed by the Strata Body Corporate.

  • Minimum lot sizes keyboard_arrow_right

    In part 4 of the Albury Local Environmental Plan 2010 you'll find the requirements for torrens title subdivision including a Lot Size Map.

    Community title and strata title lots are exempt from complying with those minimum allotment sizes, but must already contain or have approval for a residential dwelling on each of the proposed allotments.

  • Development standards keyboard_arrow_right

    The subdivision will need to meet the requirements of the Albury Local Environmental Plan 2010 and applicable sections of the Albury Development Control Plan 2010.

    When planning a subdivision, it's important to also consider the requirements as outlined in:

    Chapter 4 - Development Contributions Plans
    Contributions may be payable for the additional water and  sewer connections for each additional lot created. Additionally, in growth areas, a levy is charged per additional lot created for the provision of infrastructure.

    Chapter 5 - Tree Preservation
    Where possible, trees should be retained and protected when planning a subdivision.

    Chapter  6 - Planning for Hazards 
    To protect properties and landowners for potential hazards, the risks associated with development on land that is prone to natural hazards should be minimised.

  • Servicing keyboard_arrow_right

    All subdivisions in urban areas of our city must be provided with essential services including water, sewer, electricity, telecommunications and gas.

Subdivision Works Certificates

You'll need to apply for a Subdivision Works Certificate where civil or construction works are required to create the subdivision.

  • You may request a preliminary assessment of your engineering design by our Development Engineers before submitting your Subdivision Works Certificate application to us.

    This request can be made with our Customer Service team by providing:

    • A cover letter
    • Full set of size A1 engineering drawings (hard copy)

    A preliminary assessment will be undertaken by our Development Engineers who'll provide comment regarding design details.

    It's advisable that a preliminary assessment be undertaken for extensive civil works in relation to large subdivisions.

    It should be noted that this service isn't part of the formal assessment of your Subdivision Works Certificate. The assessment process will begin once your application and plans have been lodged with us.

  • Lodgement requirements keyboard_arrow_right

    We’ll accept hard copy applications through Customer Service or electronically on a USB or emailed to up to 20mb. If the file size is if over this please use Hightail.

    To ensure your application is lodged into our system without delay, please name and submit documentation as follows:

    Application Form
    Completed and signed by all property owners ensuring it references the current registered Lot and DP of the property.

    Application fee and long service levy is to be paid by providing a cheque or account details for the payee. If you’d like to pay by credit card, please advise in writing and we’ll call to make payment over the phone.

    Completion Report
    Addressing compliance with all 'General' conditions and 'Prior to the Issue of Construction Certificate' conditions detailed in your Development Consent.

    Estimated Cost of Civil Works

    Engineering Drawings
    One set to scale and suitably sized for legibility. If you’re lodging electronically, all engineering drawings are provided in the one PDF document.

    Other Documents
    As outlined in your Development Consent conditions under “General” or “Prior to the Issue of a Construction Certificate”, separated and named accordingly. These may include but are not limited to:

    • Landscape Plan - Detailed and clearly identifies any trees to be removed
    • Traffic Management Plan
    • Construction Management Plan - Including dust control measures, erosion sediment control, construction access and hours of work, complaints management.
    • Demolition Management Plan
    • Plans are to show works to be undertaken outside site and/or stage boundaries, or within council road or public reserve, or on environmental lands (works on E3 Land require submission of a Works Management Plan).

    Approved Environmental Lands Work Permit - For works in Council owned land zoned E2 or E3).

    Consent of Third Parties - As per conditions of consent (RFS, RMS, OEH or Third Party Property Owners if works affect neighbouring property, etc.).

    Please note that we’re unable to lodge your application without all documentation as listed above. It’s important to understand that all required information must be provided so that we’re able to undertake assessment. You’ll be advised if your application is incomplete, returning it to you.

  • Upon receiving your application, it will be checked to ensure all required information and documentation has been provided. If so, your application will lodged or if it's incomplete, returned to you. You'll be advised either way.

    We'll then receipt your application into our system ready for assessment and arrange invoicing.

    A letter acknowledging the application lodgement will be emailed to the applicant advising of the application number. Please use this number as reference for any further enquiries or when providing amended drawings or further information to us.

    Our Administration Coordinator will prepare a sign off report listing conditions of consent that relate to the Subdivision Works Certificate, noting evidence of compliance and items.

    The application is circulated for sign off to relevant AlburyCity officers. The conditions of consent determine who the application is referred to, generally this will be a Town Planner, Development Engineer, Arborist and/or Environmental Planner, Team Leader Parks and Recreation.

    The Subdivision Works Certificate release is dependent on all “General” and “Prior to the issue of Construction Certificate” conditions that relate to the subdivision or stage of subdivision being satisfied.  All referral officers must sign off to facilitate the release.

    Our Administration Coordinator will prepare the Subdivision Works Certificate and documentation for release.  The documents are signed by the Team Leader of Town Planning.

    The documents will be released to the applicant in the manner in which they were lodged.

  • Please reference revised drawings or further information with the Subdivision Works Certificate Application Number (prefix is 17) provided in our acknowledgement letter.

    Revised drawings or further information can be emailed to up to 20mb or by Hightail if the file size is more. We'll also accept hard copies through Customer Service. Please note, to ensure your documentation is processed correctly please don't email directly to individuals.

    All new documentation provided should include:

    • A cover letter referencing the Subdivision Works Certificate Application Number explaining which documents have been revised
    • Have revision numbers and revision dates recorded on the documentation
    • Documents should be grouped together in sets and follow the same labelling principals as originally submitted:
      • Amended Engineering Drawings – Revision #
      • Amended Landscaping Plans – Revision #
      • Amended Traffic Management Plan – Revision #
      • Amended Construction Management Plan – Revision #
      • Amended Demolition Management Plan – Revision #

      This information will enable our Records team to know where the information should be stored and who should be advised of its arrival. It also allows for easy identification of documentation to be superseded.

Related Pages
Never miss an update
* We'll never share your email with third parties