Site Search

Outdoor dining, street trading and advertising

Get permission to use public land as an outdoor dining area, a free-standing advertising space or to display products.

Albury’s footpaths, laneways and shopfronts support a vibrant mix of businesses that provide shopping, outdoor dining, and recreational activities. These businesses can positively contribute to life and culture in our city.

  • Under the Exempt and Complying Development Code SEPP 2008 the following changes apply:

    • Private land - food and drink businesses including small bars, pubs and registered clubs can apply to the Office Liquor & Gaming (OL&G) to temporarily serve food and drinks on outdoor private land until 18 April 2022. Find out more about the changes or apply here.
    • Public land - small bars and pubs can apply to AlburyCity to serve food and drinks on the public land outside their premises until 18 April 2022. This is consistent with existing arrangements in place for cafes and restaurants. You must have existing development consent to operate as a food premises or a licence under the Liquor Act 2007. AlburyCity has waived the application fee until June 2022.

Outdoor Dining

Food and drink businesses (this includes small bars and pubs until 18 April 2022) can apply to Council to use the footpath to provide outdoor dining to their customers.

A food and drink business providing an outdoor dining area on public land is to:

  • have an existing development consent to operate as a food premises or a licence under the Liquor Act 2007 to serve food or drink for consumption on the premises;
  • propose outdoor trading hours consistent with the conditions of consent for the use;
  • Ensure vehicle and footpath safety is maintained, design your area using the Outdoor Dining Guide; and
  • consider any impacts on nearby residents or businesses.

In accordance with the Smoke-Free Environment Act 2000, smoking is not permitted in any outdoor dining area.

What you need to do

  1. Read the NSW Outdoor Dining User Guide, draw a site plan and select the furniture you propose to purchase for the area
  2. Obtain or amend your liquor licence:
  3. Review the conditions of your consent (eg. reference number, hours of operation) and complete the online application form.

Please note all documents are to be attached in pdf. This includes a site plan, images of furniture and AlburyCity health inspection approval. Find out more information on the requirements for new food businesses or to schedule an inspection contact 02 6023 8111 or email

Street trading and advertising

Businesses can also apply to Council for to display products, mobile food and drink, or free-standing advertising on public land.

For more information contact Traffic & Transport Team on or 02 6023 8111.

Key Documents

Never miss an update
* We'll never share your email with third parties