Albury’s footpaths, laneways and shopfronts connect a vibrant mix of businesses and cultural events that offer shopping, outdoor dining, night-time and recreational activities. These businesses can positively contribute to the vitality of our city.
Food and drink businesses (this includes small bars and pubs) can apply to Council to use the public footpath to provide outdoor dining to their customers.
A food and drink business providing an outdoor dining area on public land is to:
- have an existing development consent to operate as a food premises or a licence under the Liquor Act 2007 to serve food or drink for consumption on the premises;
- propose outdoor trading hours consistent with the conditions of consent for the use;
- Ensure vehicle and footpath safety is maintained, design your area using the Outdoor Dining Guide; and
- consider any impacts on nearby residents or businesses.
In accordance with the Smoke-Free Environment Act 2000, smoking is not permitted in any outdoor dining area.
What you need to do
- Read the NSW Outdoor Dining User Guide, draw a site plan and select the furniture you propose to purchase for the area
- Obtain or amend your liquor licence:
- Complete and attach a temporary change of boundaries form
- New venues are to apply for an on-premises licence
- Review the conditions of your consent (eg. reference number, hours of operation) and complete the online application form.
Please note all documents are to be attached in pdf. This includes a site plan, images of furniture and AlburyCity health inspection approval. Find out more information on the requirements for new food businesses or to schedule an inspection contact 02 6023 8111 or email email@example.com
Street trading and advertising
Businesses can also apply to Council to display products, mobile food and drink trading or free-standing advertising on public land.
For more information contact Traffic & Transport Team on firstname.lastname@example.org or 02 6023 8111.
- NSW Outdoor Dining User Guide – to help you design a safe and attractive outdoor dining area.