Site Search

Outdoor alcohol restrictions

Together with the NSW Police and the Albury Liquor Accord we implement outdoor alcohol restrictions to discourage anti-social behaviour and crime that is fueled by drinking alcohol in public spaces.

So you can have a safe and enjoyable time when visiting either the Albury or Lavington CBD areas, we have made these areas Alcohol Free Zones.

Alcohol Free Zones

What does this mean?

It is illegal to drink alcohol within an Alcohol Free Zone, which can include roads, footpaths or public car parks at anytime (24 hours per day/7 days per week).

Where are these areas?
  • Albury CBD
  • Lavington / North Albury CBD
Who enforces these rules?

NSW Police Officers.

What happens if I am found drinking alcohol in these areas?

The Police will give you a warning and the chance to stop drinking.
If you continue to drink, your alcohol will be confiscated and tipped out. If you do not cooperate with Police, you can be charged with obstruction under Section 660 of the Local Government Act which carries a maximum penalty of $2,200.

Alcohol Prohibited Areas

What does this mean?

It is illegal to drink alcohol within a Alcohol Prohibited Area at any time (24 hours a day, 7 days a week) or during the designated times displayed on signs in the area. The same penalties apply for both Alcohol Free Zones and Alcohol Prohibited Areas.

Where are these areas?
  • QEII Square
  • Albury Botanic Gardens
  • Noreuil Park is an Alcohol Prohibited Area on Australia Day, from 9.00 am to 9.00 pm
What is the difference between Alcohol Free Zones and Alcohol Prohibited Areas?

Alcohol Free Zones cover public roads, footpaths, car parks and lane ways.
Alcohol Prohibited Areas cover public parks, beaches and reserves.

How long do these restrictions stay in place?

Each Alcohol Free Zone and Alcohol Prohibited Area is in place for a maximum of four years.
After this time, together with our partners we will re-evaluate the need for these restrictions. The current restrictions are in place until December 2021.

Contact us to discuss your plans

If you wish to hold a wedding, conference or event in one of our parks and you would like to serve alcohol, we may be able to grant you an exemption.

For more information

Phone: 02 6023 8111

Contact us online