Household lighting costs are decreasing as light emitting diodes (LEDs) are replacing halogen and incandescent lights. LEDs save money as they use up to 75% less energy and need replacing less often.
When designing your home consider:
- How to minimise artificial lights during daylight hours;
- Avoid rooms with a dark interior as this will absorb light and require more artificial light to be provided;
- General lighting and task lighting for each space;
- Locating switch so they are easily turned off when leaving the room;
- A lower wattage light as this will save energy costs compared to dimming;
- Energy efficient LEDs over lighting types that are be phased out; and
- Sky lights as these can provide three times as much light into a room compared to a vertical window.