When selecting your block, consider:
- Rectangular blocks that enable living areas to face north;
- Are the sun’s rays to the block impacted by the lot size, orientation, slope of the site and vegetation or adjoining buildings? Solar access to the block is important for passive heating/cooling, solar hot water and / or a solar PV;
- Check how the terrain or vegetation could affect air movement and solar access;
- Potential overshadowing from height and spread of trees, and neighbouring houses;
- The benefits from existing vegetation relating to wind protection and summer shading.