Council to deliver on sporting vision
Added improvements to the Lavington Sports Ground redevelopment will continue as planned, despite a variation between the estimated and actual costs of completing stages 2 and 3a.
A preliminary third party analysis initially estimated the cost of the project at $8.01M, excluding GST.
When the project was put out to tender, two highly respected contractors returned quotes between $10.073M and $10.163M (excluding GST).
Councillors have decided to continue the works in order to deliver one of the best regional sporting facilities in regional Australia and has awarded the contract for $10.145M (excluding GST) to Hansen Yuncken Pty Ltd.
AlburyCity General Manager Frank Zaknich said the project will meet the community’s expectations of an outstanding sporting complex that will provide first-class facilities for national, regional and local sport.
“Although there is a variation between the initial estimates and the actual cost, it should be noted that major improvements have been made to the original proposal, so that the completed venue will truly be a next-generation complex that will set a benchmark for regional communities across Australia,” he said.
Mr Zaknich said some of the cost discrepancy was due to the challenges of upgrading a 1970s-era sporting complex into a modern facility that will serve the community for decades to come. These challenges included requirements to ensure the centre meets modern building and fire safety codes.
Other improvements that have added value to the project include:
- Improvements and relocation of the function room to provide the best spectator experience
- Upgrades to the existing grandstand to include better disability access
- Additional undercover spectator seating for disability groups
- Additional amenities/toilets in the existing grandstand
- Further upgrades to the power supply
As part of the ongoing works, stages 2 and 3a will deliver:
- A new amenities building with four change rooms, umpires’ rooms and kiosk
- Electrical upgrades and enhanced sports field lighting
- A grandstand extension with 500 extra seats, a function room, coaches’ box and media area.
- A new car park and entrance at the corner of Hanna Street and Centaur Road.
“This is a long term vision that will deliver our community a sporting complex that can proudly host events of national, regional and local significance,” Mr Zaknich said.
- ends -