Leachate Treatment Plant Facility - Albury Waste Management Centre
Firstly, what is "leachate"? Leachate is the term used for any liquid produced by the action of ‘leaching’ - so essentially the liquid that is produced by the waste at the landfill.
The leachate produced by the waste at Albury's landfill is currently managed by evaporation, recirculating and spraying on the site. However, the volume of leachate being generated has increased to such a level that this approach is no longer feasible.
Over the coming months, we will be undertaking a project that aims to treat the leachate on site to a level that will allow the treated leachate to be discharged to the local sewerage system.
The key components of the project include:
- Refurbishment of two existing dams
- Install a switch room and a new pump station
- Implement a dosing system
- Installation of new aeration units and mixer units
- Construction of new sewerage discharge pump station