Kerr Road - stage 5
Another major step forward has been taken towards meeting demand for facilities and services in the growth area of Thurgoona/Wirlinga.
In the latest developments, stage five of the reconstruction of Kerr Road has been completed, barring some minor works now in progress.
These works involved:
- Tree removal and preservation work on trees;
- Water main and piped drainage construction and associated works;
- Road pavement reconstruction (excavation, placement, and compaction of crushed rock);
- Road surfacing;
- Footpath & passive recreation stops, including landscaping; and
- Habitat creation – table drains and wallaby grass planting.
The project is part of extensive planning for the growth of Thurgoona/Wirlinga which is expected to become home to an extra 50,000 people over the next 50 years.
As the area continues to grow, the Kerr Road redevelopment will continue north to provide access to Table Top Road, Elizabeth Mitchell Drive and the Davey Road freeway interchanges, easing traffic pressures as the community expands while also improving safety for motorists and pedestrians.
Stages one and two of Kerr Road from the Riverina Highway heading north, covering approximately 1100m, were completed in 2015 and stage three up to the southern side of Pickworth St was completed in 2017.
Stage four between Pickworth Street and Stirling Way was completed in October 2018.