Albury Entertainment Centre Improvements
A major upgrade to sound and lighting equipment and technology, a new theatre roof and design plans for an expansion of the convention wing are planned for 2019-20.
Convention Wing Expansion
This is an $18.5M project of which Council has committed $5M over the next four years, with the balance to be sought from government funding.
The project includes:
- Expansion of the Convention Wing to cater for large-scale business, conference and cultural tourism events.
- Double conference seating capacity to 1,992 and increased exhibition space from 1300m2 to 2,981m2
- Improved connection to QEII, MAMA, the LibraryMuseum and Retro Lane Café (Cultural Precinct)
- Development of a formal plaza and meeting place at the venue’s entrance to better facilitate large conferences/concurrent events
Theatre roof replacement
In addition to planning for the future, we’re maintaining what is already in place – ensuring we protect our valuable asset and meet the needs of our existing community and commercial hirers.
We’re investing $500k in replacing the Theatre’s original terracotta tile roof and gutters, which (at 50 years old) is leaking in heavy rain events. This maintenance will extend the life of our building and ensure a more comfortable (and dry) experience for our patrons.
We’re also upgrading the sound and lighting equipment throughout the venue. This $50k spend will keep our technology up-to-date, an essential requirement in remaining competitive/viable in the events and entertainment marketplace. This year the focus will be on:
- Upgrading the Theatre’s lighting desk
- Increase stock of LED moving lights as part of our power saving efforts
- Upgrade video conferencing facilities, including live streaming in and out of the venue
- Increase digital capacity of the venue to accommodate for changing technology
A further $12k will be spent on new style conference tables, to provide flexibility and versatility in how we set-up rooms for clients.