Trade Waste

Anyone wishing to discharge liquid trade waste to the sewerage system must, under Section 68 of the NSW Local Government Act 1993, obtain prior approval from Council.

Discharging liquid trade waste without approval is an offence under section 626 of the NSW Local Government Act, which may attract a maximum fine of $11,000.

What is liquid trade waste?

Liquid trade waste is all liquid waste other than domestic liquid waste discharged to the sewer. Domestic waste includes waste from a hand basin, shower, bath or toilet.

Liquid trade waste could be wastewater from any one of the following:

  • Industrial premises
  • Businesses and commercial premises such as; hotels, motels, restaurants, takeaway stores, butchers, service stations, mechanical workshops and supermarkets.
  • Community and public premises such as; craft clubs, swimming pools, schools, education facilities, hospitals and nursing homes
  • Any of the above activities carried out at residential premises
  • Septic tank waste, waste from sites for the discharge of chemical toilet or pan contents from mobile homes, caravans or portaloos to the sewerage system.

Why is liquid trade waste regulated?

The Albury sewerage system (and most city/town sewerage systems) is designed for domestic sewage. Trade waste is generated by businesses or commercial activities and may be different to domestic sewage in terms of:

  • pH (acidity or alkalinity of a solution)
  • Temperature
  • Presence of fats, oils and grease.

Council regulates liquid trade waste discharges in order to:

  • Protect the health and safety of those working in the sewerage environment
  • Protect the health and safety of the public
  • Protect our sewerage system infrastructure and assets
  • Protect sewage treatment processes at our treatment plants
  • Reduce maintenance costs of our infrastructure and assets
  • Ensure regulatory and license compliance to protect the environment
  • Protect effluent and biosolid quality for facilitation of recycling.

How does Council regulate liquid trade waste?

Council is required to have a Trade Waste Policy.

The policy sets out how Council regulates liquid trade waste discharges to its sewerage system. The policy details the approval, monitoring, enforcement processes and the levying of liquid trade waste fees and charges.

You can view the policy below:

Council's management of liquid trade waste is overseen by the NSW Department of Industry, Water Section (DOI – Water) in accordance with the Liquid Trade Waste Regulation Guidelines – April 2009.

How do I get approval to discharge liquid trade waste?

To gain approval from Council to discharge liquid trade waste an application form must be lodged to AlburyCity including any extra information as required on the form (eg plans, diagrams).

AlburyCity has two types of applications which are dependent upon your type of business.

  • Trade waste Category A, B or S application form
  • Trade waste Category C application form

The application forms require details such as waste characteristics (of the discharge), pre-treatment facilities and hours of operation. The form can be from the property owner or the tenant. Where the tenant applies for approval they must have written consent from the owner.

A plumbing and drainage permit will be required to be completed before any works commence and prior to issuing an approval.  There is a fee for this permit as specified in Council's Fees and Charges - Plumbing.

AlburyCity will assess the application and determine the Category (A, B, C or S). Please note Category C applications have to be submitted to the NSW Department of Industry (DOI-Water) for their concurrence and this may take 6 weeks.

Once the approval is determined, the outcome and approval conditions will be advised in writing to the applicant. One of the conditions will be that pre-treatment facilities (grease traps etc) have to be cleaned and pumped out (at the applicant/owner cost).

Are there any fees associated with liquid trade waste?

Yes there are Fees and Charges associated with Liquid Trade Waste. For the relevant charges see Council's Fees and Charges – Liquid Trade Waste .

Who does the liquid trade waste account get issued to?

The Local Government Act, 1993 specifies that the land owner is responsible for the payment of liquid trade waste Fees and Charges associated with their property.

Any reimbursement of the land owner, by a person/company (occupier) conducting the activity at the premises, for liquid trade waste Fees and Charges is a matter between these two parties.