Homeowner Responsibilities

It’s important for you to manage stormwater on your land to avoiding damaging your neighbour’s property as well as your own.

What you need to do

As a property owner, you are responsible for maintaining stormwater pipes, gutters, downpipes, gully pits and any other component of a drainage system related to your house or any other structure on the premises (shed, garage etc.). All of these elements need to be in good condition and comply with AlburyCity requirements. This includes any connection to the Council stormwater system.

To avoid damaging your own or a neighbour’s property, you must make sure that your property’s stormwater system is connected to a legal point of discharge – either the public drainage system (including roadside kerbs and gutters) or an inter-allotment drainage system (within dedicated easements). If you are redirecting and/or concentrating stormwater flows on your property, you need to collect them and direct them to a legal point of discharge.

Most importantly, stormwater must not be connected to the sewer. You can be fined for breaching this or any other regulatory requirement to do with stormwater management.

For detailed information, see our plumbing and drainage guidelines webpage.

Technical requirements

The requirements for stormwater management can be complicated. If you’re in any doubt, ask a licensed plumber to help you understand the rules and confirm that your property complies with them.

Technical details are in:

  • the Building Code of Australia – technical standards for all aspects of building
  • Volume 3 of the National Construction Code – plumbing and drainage requirements for stormwater
  • Australian Standard AS/NZS 3500.3 Plumbing and Drainage – requirements for collecting roof water and surface water and discharging it through underground pipes to legal points of discharge.

New connections

If the property slopes to the road, the connection is normally to the roadside kerb and gutter. Any new connection across a Council footpath to the gutter needs approval from Council.

If the property slopes away from the road, the connection is normally to an easement draining through neighbouring properties to the public drainage system. In this case the owner is responsible for negotiating with the neighbouring owners to establish an easement. A drainage easement generally includes a drainage pipe and may also include an overland flow path.

For information on new connections, contact us (info@alburycity.nsw.gov.au) (02 6023 8111).