Site Search

Border Closures

More information is available below on current Victorian and NSW border restrictions.
  • Victorian border restrictions keyboard_arrow_right

    From 6.00pm Monday 11 January 2021, the Victoria Government established a permit system for all domestic travel into Victoria.

    You do not need to apply for a permit if you live in one of the border communities, you will continue to be able to access the ‘border bubble’– using your driver’s license to prove your residential address.  For our Victorian residents, you do not need to get tested or quarantine when you return to Victoria if you have only travelled within New South Wales border communities.

    The Victorian ‘traffic light’ permit system is now in place, with all regions of Australia now declared green, orange or red based on the COVID-19 risk in the area. The different zones determine what restrictions will apply for travellers coming from the area.

    If you're coming from a:

    • Red zone
      You will not be allowed to enter Victoria without an exception or exemption if you have visited a red zone in the past 14 days. You will be turned away if you try and enter the land border without one.
    • Orange zone
      You can apply for a permit. You will need to take a coronavirus test within 72 hours after arriving in Victoria, and quarantine until you get your results.
    • Green zone
      You can apply for a permit. No isolation or testing rules apply, but you should watch out for symptoms.

    More information for border community members can be found here.

    The NSW local government areas are: 

    • Albury
    • Balranald
    • Bega Valley
    • Berrigan
    • Broken Hill
    • Edward River
    • Federation
    • Greater Hume
    • Hay
    • Lockhart
    • Murray River
    • Murrumbidgee
    • Snowy Monaro
    • Snowy Valleys
    • Wagga Wagga
    • Wentworth

    The Victorian local government areas are:

    • Alpine Valleys
    • Benalla
    • Bendigo
    • Buloke
    • Campaspe
    • East Gippsland
    • Gannawarra
    • Indigo
    • Loddon
    • Mildura
    • Moira
    • Shepparton
    • Swan Hill
    • Towong
    • Wangaratta
    • Wodonga
    • Yarriambiack

    More information

    If you have travelled or are planning to travel, please ensure you check any case locations and exposure sites, and follow the required health advice:

    Please remember to follow the rules and restrictions that apply to regional and rural NSW and Victoria to help keep our community safe and free from COVID-19.

  • NSW border restrictions keyboard_arrow_right

    A new NSW Public Health Order (PHO) was issued on Friday 5 February 2021 regarding ‘affected areas and places of high concern’. The key PHO details are available here and updated information about what you can and can’t do under the rules in NSW is available here.

    In summary, from Friday 5 February the state of Victoria was declared an ‘affected area’ by the NSW Government.

    This means:

    • Anyone arriving in NSW from an affected area (Victoria) by air or rail must:
      - complete a traveller self-declaration form before entering NSW (or on entry into NSW) and
      - carry it with them to show an enforcement officer if requested.
    • If you have been to any of the places of high concern in Victoria on the date and time specified, you should not enter NSW unless you are a NSW resident.
    • If you are a returning NSW resident and you have been in a place of high concern at the specified time in a COVID-19 concerns notice you must: 
      - self-isolate for 14 days, and
      - follow the Interstate Traveller Guidelines while travelling.

    Those living in our Victorian and NSW border communities will continue to be able to access the ‘border bubble’ – using their drivers licence to prove their residential address for entry into Victoria from NSW.
    At this stage there is no requirement to complete a traveller self-declaration for entry into NSW from Victoria unless arriving by air or rail.

Never miss an update
* We'll never share your email with third parties