Hair & Beauty Businesses
We’re responsible for making sure that Albury businesses providing personal appearance services are registered and operate in a hygienic manner. Our responsibility excludes businesses with practitioners registered under the Health Practitioners National Law such as doctors, dentists, physio therapists etc.
What are personal appearance services?
Personal appearance services include beauty therapies such as hairdressing and make up. Some services include procedures which require the breaking of the skin such as waxing, tattooing, ear (or any other part of the body) piercing, cuticle cutting, scarring etc. These are referred to in the legislation as skin penetration procedures.
We have an inspection and monitoring program for businesses that provide higher risk personal appearance services which result in the skin being penetrated. These services include:
- Body piercing (any piercing of the body)
- Tattooing and tattoo removal
- Nail salons with cuticle cutting
We may also inspect lower risk services such as hairdressing businesses (with no skin penetration services such as waxing) against standards in the Local Government (General) Regulation 2005.
Registering a Hair / Beauty Business
(only hair and beauty businesses that carry out skin penetration procedures are required by law to register)
Simply follow these three steps.
- Contact our Town Planning Department on T:02 6023 8111 to find out if you need development approval.
- Complete the registration form below. Registration is legally required under the Local Government (General) Regulation 2005 and the Public Health Regulation 2012 where skin penetration procedures are involved.
- Arrange a health inspection prior to operating. At this point you will be provided with a health inspection report which is your proof of registration.