Development Applications

Before constructing a building, making any changes to a building or occupying premises within the AlburyCity Local Government Area, you may need to submit a Development Application (DA).

This information should be read in conjunction with the Albury Local Environmental Plan and the Albury Development Control Plan.

This summary is a guide only to assist in the preparation of your DA and should not be taken as advice on your proposed development.

How do I make an Application?

  • Application Form
  • Three (3) copies of A4 or A3 size plans (drawn to scale) are required.
  • Locality Plan
  • Site Plan indicating all levels, existing structures and vegetation
  • Floor Plan (existing and proposed)
  • Elevations (showing height of structure)
  • Three (3) copies of Statement of Environmental Effects (SEE)
  • Subdivision Plan (if applicable)
  • Three (3) copies BASIX Certificate (if applicable)

What is a Statement of Environmental Effects?

A Statement of Environmental Effects (SEE) is a report outlining the likely impacts of the proposal and the proposed measures that will mitigate these impacts. The SEE includes written information about the proposal that cannot be readily shown on your plans and drawings'. For ready to use templates or a guide to completing your own SEE see the related forms at the bottom of this page.

How will my application be assessed?

Development applications are assessed with regard to Section 79C of the Environmental Planning & Assessment Act 1979.

This includes consideration of:

  • The provisions of any relevant planning instruments or Council guidelines (Local Environmental Plans, Development Control Plans)
  • The likely environmental, social or economic impacts of the development in the locality
  • The suitability of the site for the development
  • Any submissions made in response to public notification of the development
  • The public interest.

Who determines development applications?

Council officers can determine 100% of applications under 'delegated authority' without the need to report to a Council meeting.

However, a development application may be referred to Council in circumstances where:

  • The proposed development involves significant departures from Council's adopted guidelines or policies
  • Elected Councillors make a request for the application to be determined by Council.
  • Significant public interest is generated by the application.

Determination of a development application

You will be sent a formal Notice of Determination advising whether your development application has been approved or refused.

Notices of approved development are also published weekly in The Midweek Express and recent determinations are listed on Council's website.

Referral to government agencies

Some developments may also require approval by another authority (i.e. the Heritage Council or the Department of Environment and Conservation.) This is known as Integrated Development.

In these cases, Council must refer the application to the relevant authority and seek its general terms of approval. Council cannot approve an Integrated Development if the relevant authority decides to withhold its approval.

DAs for Integrated Development must include an extra set of drawings, additional fees and may also require additional documentation for the relevant authority (e.g. Heritage Impact Statement, Bushfire Assessment Report).

Development that generates significant traffic volumes or impacts upon the main road network in the City may need to be referred to NSW Roads and Maritime Services. Developments which might have an impact on Albury Airport will also be referred to AirServices Australia.

Further information

Building and Planning officers may write to you requesting further information as a result of issues which arise during assessment or as a result of public notification. Please note that a failure to respond may lead to an unfavourable decision. Therefore, you should contact the officer nominated in the letter to advise of any delay or difficulty in responding to the issues raised.

Conditions of Consent

Any approval of development (consent) will generally be subject to conditions intended to protect the environment, community and neighbours. Conditions may require you to obtain further approvals or certificates before you can physically commence. Typically, a Construction Certificate will be required for any development involving physical works or structures. There may be additional requirements and it is your responsibility to read, understand and abide by all the conditions of your consent.

Failure to abide by any conditions of consent is illegal and may give rise to legal action.

Building and Planning Advice

Council building and planning officers are available to discuss any proposed development and provide advice that should be considered during the design phase.

To allow the officer to complete a preliminary check of issues relating to the site please book your meeting at least 24 hours in advance. When booking please provide the following information:

  • The full street address and suburb of the property.
  • You name and a contact phone number (should we need to re-schedule)
  • A brief description of your proposal (e.g. "3 lot subdivision", "renovations to house", "new shed in rear yard")
  • Any particular concerns you have already identified.

Council officers are not able to assess a Development Application prior to lodgement and no undertakings or guarantees of approval can be made by Council officers prior to formal assessment of a Application. Pre-lodgement consultation can bring to light issues that may need to be addressed prior to lodgement, saving you time. For this reason you should bring a sketch or plan of your proposal to help focus the discussion and as much information/details regarding the proposal.

Once a Development Application is lodged public notification occurs and a detailed assessment of the application is carried out in accordance with the criteria under the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979.

For further information on the development application process, visit the NSW Planning Portal "Your Guide to the DA Process".

Book a meeting

Phone 02 6023 8111 at least 24 hours in advance.

Related forms and guidelines