Residential alterations and additions

In this section you'll find information about residential alterations and additions including what if any council approvals you may require.

  • Man and woman holding approval plans

    What approvals do I need?

    Some alterations and additions to a house may require council approval find out more here.

    Read more about What approvals do I need?

  • Nsw planning portal image

    Exempt and complying development

    Find out information about whether your building works qualify as exempt or complying development.

    Read more about Exempt and complying development

  • Application form

    Development Applications

    Before constructing a building, making any changes to a building or occupying premises you may need to submit a Development Application (DA).

    Read more about Development Applications

  • Plumbing & Drainage

    Find forms and information needed to undertake plumbing and drainage work.

    Read more about Plumbing & Drainage

  • Asbestos


    Find information about out how to remove and dispose of it safely when renovating.

    Read more about Asbestos

  • Related Forms/Guidelines for Residential Alterations & Additions

    Here you will find forms and guidelines associated with residential alterations and additions.

    Read more about Related Forms/Guidelines for Residential Alterations & Additions

  • girl standing behind pool fence

    Swimming Pools

    All swimming pools in NSW must be registered and fenced. Find out your obligations before deciding on installing a pool.

    Read more about Swimming Pools