Home Business/Home Industries

A business that operates from a dwelling, or in a building ancillary to a dwelling, by one or more permanent residents of the dwelling and that does not involve:

  • (a) The employment of more than 2 persons other than those residents, or
  • (b) Interference with the amenity of the neighbourhood by reason of the emission of noise, vibration, smell, fumes, smoke, vapour, steam, soot, ash, dust, waste water, waste products, grit or oil, traffic generation or otherwise, or
  • (c) The exposure to view, from any adjacent premises or from any public place, of any unsightly matter, or
  • (d) The exhibition of any signage (other than a business identification sign), or
  • (e) The sale of items (whether goods or materials), or the exposure or offer for sale of items, by retail, except for goods produced at the dwelling or building,

But does not include bed and breakfast accommodation, home occupation (sex services) or sex services premises.

Under the State Environmental Planning Policy (Exempt and Complying Development Codes) 2008, Home Businesses and Industries can be undertaken as Exempt Development (not requiring the consent of council) if the above conditions are satisfied and the proposed business does not occupy more than 50m2 of the dwelling.

If you are unsure if your proposed home business complies with the above requirements, please contact AlburyCity's Planning & Environment team on 6023 8111.