Have a say on Hume Street improvements
AlburyCity is inviting community feedback on works proposed for Hume Street, including two new right hand turning lanes into South Albury.
Earlier this year, funding of $400,000 was announced under the NSW Government's Safer Roads Program to improve safety at the Hume and Olive Street intersection.
This will provide for the installation of a barrier in the central median to stop vehicles travelling along Olive Street from directly crossing the busy four-lane Hume Street.
While the works will improve safety at this known inner-city black spot, it will limit access off Hume Street into South Albury.
However the funding will also cover installation of right hand turn lanes at the David/Hume Street and Kiewa/Hume Street intersections to allow easy access into South Albury.
There are also plans to construct kerb extensions and pedestrian refuges at the intersections of Hume and Olive Streets and Hume and Kiewa Streets to improve safety for pedestrians.
AlburyCity Mayor, Henk van de Ven says the Hume Street works will result in a change in on-street car parking along sections of Hume Street. While some sections will see a reduction in parking bays due to the provision of the new right hand turn lanes, overall there will be a net increase of nine parking spaces.
"For this reason, we're keen to talk to local traders, tenants and residents to gauge their support or otherwise for the works."
"I encourage anyone with an interest to go to Have A Say and provide feedback, or if they prefer, they can make an appointment to speak directly with one of our council officers," Cr van de Ven said.
Feedback will be received until COB Friday 6 November