Ticket system set to stay until December
AlburyCity has committed to the full season court hire system at the Lauren Jackson Sports Centre but is set to maintain the current pay-as-you-go ticket system until December 2014.
The time extension will allow the Albury Basketball Association and Albury Indoor Netball Association more time to implement the full season court hire charge.
The new system would be introduced from January 2015 after the Community and Cultural Committee endorsed a time extension at its meeting tonight. The proposal will be presented to full Council at its 23 June meeting.
“Council is committed to implementing the full season court hire system but following recent consultation we want to give each association more time to develop ways to implement the new system,” Deputy Mayor Cr Henk van de Ven said. “We’re aware of the concerns of parents and think that more time will allow each association to develop the implementation plan with players and parents so that they can fully capitalise on the benefits.”
“The new system will see court hire charged to the Albury Basketball Association and Albury Netball Association on a seasonal basis, moving away from the current week-by-week individual player ticket system. The change means that each association will have bulk bought its court hire in advance.”
“In the long term it means parents save money and the sporting associations are more financially secure, which is a better outcome for everybody.”
A full season court hire fee was first raised in 2009. The idea was further explored in 2013 as part of Council’s Service and Efficiency Review.
Among the many benefits of the new system are:
- Financial savings for families
- Families not having to queue and wait for a game ticket
- Incentive for greater participation – it is planned that participants can play at higher age group levels at no charge
- A more efficient process saving the double handling of individual tickets
- $11,000 in operational savings to the Sports Centre
- The opportunity for the association to obtain additional income which can be used to further promote, support and develop the sport
Improved kiosk operations.