Botanic Gardens History
The original layout of the Gardens was in the part shape of the Union Jack. Long straight paths with avenue plantings of pines, elms and other trees met at a central artificial lake and island that were surrounded by a circular conservatory.
This layout was remodeled between 1901 and 1936 during the curatorship of J.E.R. Fellowes. Meandering pathways, curving garden beds and changing vistas were introduced although some significant axial paths and a formal central focus around the three ornamental ponds were retained.
By 1951 further modifications to the layout had occurred. In particular, the straight path from the main entrance gate to the central ponds had been removed, as had the formal circular walk around the ornamental ponds. The straight path adjacent to Wodonga Place had also been removed, together with the path access to the rotunda. New paths included a diagonally aligned path from the sundial to a new entrance to Dean Street at the western end of Elm Avenue, and a modified and enlarged central loop. The area immediately north of the service yard that had been occupied by the Albury Bowling Green had been developed as garden.
The existing layout remains similar to the 1951 plan. Modifications include creation of a new curving path along the north-west boundary providing loop circulation around the creek lawn, and construction of the fern walk. Several small links have been removed including direct connection between the main entrance and the Hume monument; the link between the main entrance and the drinking fountain; and the semi-circular path from the Smollett Street entrance to the east side of the curators cottage. The layout of the area near the toilet also has been altered.
Modifications to the garden bed layout are substantial if compared to the 1906 Fellowes Plan, although changes since the 1951 plan are generally relatively limited. The two major changes are the modification of the rose garden area and the establishment of the Children's Garden to replace the fern walk in the Bowling Lawn area.