The Pioneer Cemetery in David Street was established in 1848. AlburyCity took over operating the cemetery in 1951.
The cemetery has many examples of elaborate and ornate headstones from a bygone era, most of which were crafted by local stonemasons. It now provides our community with a place to reflect on our important historic past.
A walk through the Pioneer Cemetery will provide an insight to those early settlers who made Albury what it is today, including James Fallon the first Mayor of Albury and VC recipient Albert Chalmers-Borella.
In 1987 the new Lychgate was opened, the gate was built by TAFE carpentry apprentices.
An informative tour of the Pioneer Cemetery is conducted by the Albury and District Historical Society Inc. For further information visit the website.
T: (02) 6043 5655
Cnr of Buckingham and David Streets, Albury. Phone: (02) 6043 5655